How to Create Facebook Video Lookalike Audiences
Have you considered using Facebook lookalike audiences to grow your brand following? Facebook lookalikes are an advanced targeting option that uses your existing source audience to find new, similar people. Unlike interest-based targeting, lookalike audiences give you more control and better-quality audiences because these new audiences are almost identical to your existing ones. There are four types of lookalike audiences available in Facebook. Video, email, page likes and conversions.Video allows you to build brand recognition and trust with your target audience quickly.If you’re running a video-based content strategy and want to scale your campaigns to reach more people, lookalike audiences let you find new people based on those who’ve already watched your videos! Custom video audiences allow you to segment your viewers based on what videos they’ve watched and their level of engagement.
Sound like something you would like to explore? Follow the directions below to create your video lookalike audience.
You can create an Engagement Custom Audience based on people who saw your video on Facebook or Instagram. These include videos delivered to Feed, stories and other eligible placements on Facebook and Instagram.
To create an Engagement Custom Audience from video views:
- Go to your Audiences.
- Click the Create Audience dropdown menu and select Custom Audience.Note: If you’ve never created an audience, you’ll see a Create a Custom Audiences button, not a dropdown menu. Click this button to create the audience.
- Click Engagement.
- Click Video.
- In the Engagement field, choose the type of content you want to use to create your audience. For example, “People who viewed at least 10 seconds of your video”.
- Click Choose videos.
- In the window that appears, open the dropdown menu and select Campaign, Page or Instagram business profile.
Campaign: Use the search bar to find a campaign (active or inactive). Then, check the boxes next to the video(s) you want to use.
Page: Select a Facebook Page and check the boxes next to the video(s) you want to use.
Instagram business profile: Select an Instagram business profile and check the boxes next to the video(s) you want to use. You can choose multiple videos from multiple business profiles for one audience.
- Click Confirm.
- In the In The Past field, enter the number of days people will remain in your audience after they engage with your video(s). People are removed from your audience after the set time period unless they engage with the video(s) again.For example, if you tell Facebook to go back 30 days and a person engaged 29 days ago, they’ll be in your audience. However, if they fail to engage the next day, they’ll be removed from the audience. Anyone new who engages within the time period you choose will be added to the audience. This means that the audience is constantly being refreshed, so you don’t need to edit or create a new Engagement Custom Audience unless you want to change the time period or the type of engagement.
- Add an audience name and description (optional).
- Click Save.
When you finish, we’ll start building your Engagement Custom Audience and notify you when it’s ready. You can then use the audience when creating an ad. Learn more about using an Engagement Custom Audience in targeting.